“I have baptized you with water; he will baptize you with the holy Spirit.” – Mark 1:8 –
Baptism welcomes us into a life of following Jesus Christ. Baptism washes away our sins, incorporates us into the Church and makes us members of the Body of Christ. Babies should be baptized within the first few weeks after birth; however, all who are willing are welcome at any age.
To get Started
- The baptisms in English, with very few exceptions, are the second Saturday of the month at 10:00 am.
- The (English) pre-baptismal class for parents and godparents is held the first Saturday of the month at 11:00 am in the school classroom 7-A.
- Anyone may attend the pre-baptismal class if they first register at the rectory office. A $10 stipend is required for each attendee taking the class who is not associated with a child being baptized at Saint John the Baptist.
- The original Birth Certificate of the child is required when you register him/her at the Rectory Office. Your child has to be registered before taking the class.
- Parents coming to baptize at St. John’s from outside the Costa Mesa area, need a permission letter from their church stating they are parishioners and allowed to baptize at Saint John the Baptist parish.
- If the godparents (sponsors) live outside the area, they need a letter from their parish church verifying they are parishioners and can take a pre-baptismal class at their own parish; all this information must be received by our Rectory office prior the baptism date.
- The baptisms are for newborns through five years old. However, it is strongly urged that parents present their children to be baptized within the first weeks after birth.
- There is a Baptismal stipend of $25 per child for a normal group baptism ($100 for a “private” baptism arranged directly with a priest).
- Sponsors. Per the Baptism requirements in the Code of Canon Law, only one person is actually required to be a sponsor (though it is customary to have two). The sponsor must be at least 16 years old, baptized Roman Catholic and received both First Communion and Confirmation. If two sponsors are chosen they must be a man and a woman, the second sponsor may be non-Catholic who is considered a “Christian Witness” if he/she has been baptized a Christian. If a married couple is chosen, their marriage has to be valid according to the Code of Canon Law.
- If you have any questions, please contact the Rectory Office at (714) 540-2214.
NOTE: In general the priest baptizes children even though the parents are not married in the Church, with the hope that the parents resolve their marriage status.
2016 Calendar for Baptism Classes and Ceremonies (all language groups):
Infant Baptisms, Ages 0-6
Celebrated at 10:00 a.m. on Saturdays. 1st Saturday in Vietnamese; 2nd Saturday in English; 3rd Saturday in Spanish.
Parents are obliged to have infants baptized within the first weeks after birth. Please contact the Parish Office about preparation classes (714) 540-2214.
Ages 7-16, Religious Christian Initiation of Children (Baptism)
A multi-year program of the Religious Education Department. The child is first accepted as a catechumen and is later baptized in conjunction with First Communion and Confirmation.
All unbaptized children ages 7-16 must enroll in a special class offered Sundays (R.C.I.A. adapted for children). Please see the blue Religious Education Registration for more information or call/email Isabel Cacho (Director of Religious Education) at (714) 546-4102 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org